Skip to main content

Permits & Licenses

Peddler Permits to Veterans

Under New York State law, veterans are permitted to obtain a Peddler's Permit that can be used for the sale of items at various locations. There is no fee for the permit. Further information is available by calling (315) 379-2237.

Every honorably discharged member of the United States Armed Forces and their spouses are eligible to apply for a Veteran's Peddler License. This license provides veterans with the right to hawk, peddle, vend, and sell goods, wares, merchandise or solicit trade upon the streets and highways within the county of his or her residence.  The usual fees associated with a vending license is waived for qualifying Veteran's and their spouses.

The following are requirements that must be met to obtain your Peddler's Permit:

  1. Must be honorably discharged from a military service and present a DD214 honorable discharge form to prove it.
  2. Be a veteran of any war or conflict or have served in the armed forces overseas.
  3. Be able to provide valid identification, such as a driver’s license or non-driver ID.
  4. Prove residency in St. Lawrence County for at least 6 months, either with your driver’s license utility bill, or mortgage payment receipt, etc.
  5. Provide 2 passport photos. Photos can be taken at the County Clerk's Office.
  6. Know what he/she plans to sell and the name of the company he/she is working on the behalf of, if applicable

In addition to obtaining a Veteran's Peddler's License from the County Clerk, you will also be required to comply with village or town ordinances related to street peddling. Information can be obtained directly from the individual towns and villages in which the business will be conducted.

Transient Merchant Licenses

To obtain a Transient Merchant License you must submit a completed application and provide a copy of your business registration to the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance. You are also required to post a cash deposit of at least one thousand dollars ($1,000.00) or a Surety Bond of at least one thousand dollars ($1,000.00) with a Surety Company licensed to do business in New York State. This bond is subject to the approval of the County Attorney.

Please call 315-379-2237 for more information.

For more information on Transient Merchant Licenses contact the clerk in the village where you would like to set up your business.

Back to Top