Skip to main content

Voter Registration

Registering In Person

Registration forms are available at most government offices, schools, libraries, and post offices, or you may register in person Monday through Friday at the St. Lawrence County Board of Elections Office, 80 State Hwy 310, Canton, New York, between 8am and 4pm.

Choosing the Correct Form

When registering to vote via the DMV make sure you receive the correct form. One form allows you to register for the first time, the other form is used if you've moved within St. Lawrence County and wish to notify the Board of Elections of your new address to maintain active voting status. Also note it can take up to a month for registrations from the DMV and other social service agencies to reach the board. Therefore your registration will be postmarked timely as of the date received by the St. Lawrence County Board of Elections.

Requesting a Voter Registration Form Over the Phone

Call 315-379-2202 and a registration form will be sent to you in the mail to complete and return.

Register By Mail or e-Mail a Request for Application

Print an application form here complete and return through the mail, or e-mail your request for a registration form to be sent to you. Be sure to include your mailing address.

If you want to vote in an election, you must mail or deliver your completed registration form to the Board of Elections no later than 25 days before the election in which you want to vote. Your eligibility to vote will be based on the date you file this form, and the county board will notify you of such.

Registration Applications

  1. Complete the entire application.
    Remember to check the box next to the political party in which you wish to enroll. If you do not wish to be affiliated with any party, check the appropriate box.
  2. Print, sign, and date your application in blue or black ink. This is required!

Mail the completed application.
Send to: St. Lawrence County Board of Elections
              80 State Highway 310, CantonNY  13617

Download the Voter Registration Form

Re-Registering or Changing Your Information

  • Name, address or party enrollment changes can be made by submitting a new registration form in any manner permitted for a registration application.
  • If you move, your notice of change of address must be received by the Board of Elections up to:
  • 20 days before the election in which you seek to vote.
  • If you have missed the 20 day deadline, you may contact the Board of Elections for your new polling site.

Changes of Party Enrollment must be received by February 14th in order to be effective for any subsequent Party Primary Elections.

A change of enrollment received after the February 14th deadline takes effect following the year's Primary Elections.